View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 05:26 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
One advantage older machines have over newer ones for beginning sewers is the parts are easily seen and understood. Things like the take up arm and top tension are usually visible. You can see what's going on. The beginning sewer can see how the tension assembly works and how the thread must pass through the disks correctly to work. New machines tend to hide things inside the housing. You just pull the thread along a path. Another advantage is old machines need to be oiled and maintained. Why is that an advantage? It teaches young sewers how to care for a machine. It's a skill that applies to far more than just sewing.
From what I've seen of beginner level new machines one way the makers save money is they leave things out. Instead of variable stitch length and width, you have a limited choice of preset stitch lengths and widths. I don't know that it's critical but it's nice to have options.
Cost is another advantage. You get a lot of value for your money buying an old machine. They may not have all the features a higher end new model has but they're well built and with a little care will last another lifetime or longer.
I don't think the newer machines will age as gracefully as the old ones have.
Rodney
DEAD ON.
There are a lot of the younger people very aware of going 'green'
Some of them are buying used things and keeping things maintained.
Very good lessons - sew and maintain and keep our planet green by using the old already manufactured things.
The reason I say 'things' is because there are people rebuilding old appliances or old cars etc.

Last edited by miriam; 09-04-2015 at 05:30 AM.