View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 06:10 AM
nanna-up-north

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
I know people who *prefer* to bind as you described, and have never heard of it being an issue in real life.

I have *read* about straight-grain binding wearing more quickly than bias, but I have a suspicion it is a rumour concocted by the same people who recommend always cutting border joins on the diagonal 'because it makes them less obvious' (on rare occasions maybe, depending on the fabric pattern, but otherwise it just uses more fabric - so you have to buy more & spend more money)

So my answer would be: leave it as it is.
I agree, leave it as it is. That baby won't care.

But to answer the question about straight grain wearing more than bias. It's true, not a rumor. I have a quilt made by my DH's aunt back in the 30's. The quilt was well used, the binding is torn all along the binding edge. Why? When you do a binding on the SOG, there is only one thread that runs along the fold. That thread gets worn from use and it breaks. The binding loses it's strength and rips apart. When you make a binding on the bias, the threads are criss-cross all along the folded edge. There are hundreds of threads.... number is strength and that binding will hold together even if it starts to wear.