Old 09-05-2015, 07:20 AM
givio

Jeanie, the method I'm using is just the opposite. I'm leaving the batting whole, while the top and back are in three pieces. I pinned the middle. I rolled/folded the batting out of the way and it was a little awkward to quilt the middle section. I think this is mostly because I have only a small table to support it. I'm using a domestic Elna. But it was not heavy and there wasn't the usual tugging and struggling. Then I sewed the seams for the right side top and back, pinned the layers, and started quilting that (intending to repeat for the other side). You might like to leave your top and back in three pieces as well as your batting. There isn't any problem seaming the top if your top pattern is such that you can make it in three strips.

Bev, I've made some 18" girl doll clothes this year. A handy size, as there are lots of American Girl doll (same size) ideas online. I got her from Goodwill and she had only a dress. I thought she needed panties before I gave to my granddaughter, so I made panties, 2 teeshirt/shorts outfits, a blouse/long pants outfit, and a felt purse. You could at least make a jacket or coat, so they could have something to take off. :-) But yeah, then when I visited later, the doll was naked every time. Plastic-- can't sew the panties in place. lol

I got my PC book from Amazon today! Fast delivery! I chose one that said it was a signed copy by the author, and lo and behold! it came from Laurie Hird herself! Now I've got her address. I'd tell you it so you could write her a little friendly and thankful note, but since this post is public to the world, I won't write it. :-p

I was planning on sewing this morning, but now I think I'm going to read. :-p

Last edited by givio; 09-05-2015 at 07:33 AM.