Thread: Bacon binding?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 10:00 AM
canuckninepatch

Excellent advice....it makes perfect sense to me. I will do this next time.

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Stretch the binding.
Many people are saying to not stretch the binding when you are putting it on. But that is exactly what you need to do. It's the quilt top that is wavy. If you put your borders on correctly, there should not be too many waves.

When I put on binding, I lay the quilt under the needle, attach the binding with a few stitches, and give the binding a little tug. Just a little tug to make sure is is laying flat. The quilt sandwich may look a little wavy at this point. I hold this in place with my finger as it goes through the needle. Lengthwise binding can be pulled much tighter, since it doesn't stretch as much. I don't do bias binding. You will not want to stretch that at all, only make very sure the edges of the quilt are not wavy before you start.

I once took a binding off a finished quilt. (My daughter changed her mind and wanted it bigger.) Then we changed our mind again and had to put that binding back on the quilt. I really stretched that binding and had a few inches left over when I was finished. The quilt looks fine, and surely has no waves on the outside.