View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 AM
trolleystation

I think that you covered about everything.........................
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some of the things I wish someone had told me - before I learned for myself!

Make a few quilts before offering to make one for everyone I know.

Learn to say "no" if/when someone asks for a quilt - or to mend something - or to replace a zipper.

Learn to value my work and time - even for gifts - and how to calculate replacement cost of materials used - if someone balks at a suggested price - suggest they buy it "ready-made"

It is easier - and less expensive in the long run - to work with good quality materials (regardless of where they were purchased) than to work with poor quality materials.

Recycling is fine - but trying to use a warped blanket for batting does not work out well (the neighbor lady did this - I tried to talk her out of it, but she was determined - it did not work out well!)

It is easier to make mistakes when one is very tired.

Stashes and extra supplies are a mixed blessing. It's nice to have stuff on hand - but it is money tied up in inventory. And space taken. I think - in hindsight - those that buy for one project at a time- even at "regular prices" and have basic tools probably spent a lot less money over-all than I have over the years.

(I do enjoy going through my stuff - but - I do have more stuff than necessary!)

It is okay to change my mind about original choices.

The patterns/directions sometimes have errors in them.

Anything you had to learn the hard way?