View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Bree123

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Seems some designers wants everyone to buy the pattern or design and not do anything with it. I say no thanks. I haven't seen one that is that wonderful yet.
I agree with that. I don't quite understand the whole "for personal use only" thing. If someone is making 1 or 2 to sell based on a pattern they bought, that seems reasonable to me. Someone who doesn't sew wouldn't have bought the pattern otherwise so it seems to me like a win-win. On the other hand, if someone buys a pattern of my design & then farms it out to a Chinese labor camp & makes 50,000 of them using low quality materials & labels them "designed by Bree" that would be a problem. For one, now my name is on junky, potentially dangerous quilts. Two, the manufacturer gets all that profit from my design work & I wasn't compensated.

I've yet to find a big pattern maker that will grant rights to sell even a single quilt (even for charity) based on one of their patterns. Fortunately, I have other choices. I'm hoping as more and more quilters refuse to buy fabric and patterns from designers that threaten to sue over even a single quilt that the tide will turn but maybe that's too much to hope for.