Old 09-08-2015, 06:28 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
...there are places where dried up oil hides and until you get to it you just can't move the machine. After I figured out the stupid thing was reluctant to turn I turned the machine upside down and reoiled. I turned it every direction I could think of and tried to rock it just a little until it turned. Then I oiled and turned again. The idea of it only turning with heat is because you have dried gummy oil somewhere. ....
What ever is causing it will be teaching you a lot.
That is kind of what I thought that once I was able to get it to move with the heat that there still might be something gumming up and so even tried oiling (at least the top) while it was running. I was hoping that by getting it while it was running that it would spread out the new oil and maybe dislodge old stuff. Especially, since heat only helps in that one location. AND I have oiled other places that aren't in the instructions. I've had it in multiple positions trying to let new oil (Tri-Flow)seep into it.

Originally Posted by Champanier View Post
If I read this correctly, the motor works fine when the stop motion clamp screw is loosened? If that's the case, this won't help, but if not, have you tried a different foot controller?
... ...
I once inadvertantly pushed the pressure adjustment rod all the way in on a 201 and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't sew, but it sounds like you have even reached the trying to sew point, so that's not it.
.... ...

Right, not the controller or motor problem. I did try a hand wheel, stop motion washer & screw from a different FW as the one that came in it was different (45930 instead of 45716).

Funny side note about pressure on presser bar. There had been some discussion about it leaving it tight or loosening it for storage. I was of the opinion that if you reduced it (especially those 'fun' ones that release when you press the outer collar) it was better. I got a machine and had cleaned and oiled and went to sew with it and it wasn't making a stitch Went back to the drawing board, so to speak, by reading (skimming) the manual and remembered that there wasn't any pressure on the presser foot. After I engaged the presser - it sewed beautifully.

I'm not sure that I really am learning anything, but I keep hoping. I have a working 1951 FW that I keep comparing, looking at different parts and screws on each trying to find a difference. The only differences that I have been able to come up with is the bushings and those differences really aren't visible.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.