Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 PM
miriam
Power Poster

I have an old Standard machine that came in a lot of 50 some machines. The Standard spider for chain stitching was gifted to me by a QB member. (THANK YOU) Mom and I set it up to HC and she did some sewing with it. She had some kind of old treadle that did chain stitching when she was in college back in the 1940s. She called it a Singer but we all doubt if it was. When she sewed with that old Standard she knew instinctively how to get the piece off that machine with out unraveling the chain. I have to work at it. It is fun machine. It will do chain or it will do straight stitch. We sewed some tucks in little girl dresses with the chain stitching. It makes a beautiful tight chain. Mom said she got her home economics degree using that old treadle. She said none of her projects ever ripped out. She said she picked it up used somewhere for cheap. After she graduated her parents bought her a Singer Featherweight. She still some times uses the FW but gets frustrated with it when she tangles bobbin thread around. The Standard is a very well made machine. That spider is simply genius. There are some other Standard attachments that look to be genius as well.