View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 03:48 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dellareya View Post
Who would of thought that buying a washer or dryer could turn into a traumatic experience? We had to replace our wash machine earlier this year. I had no idea that washers had changed so much in the 18 years since we bought our last one. It was very hard to to decide. I did some research but it didn't help.
We've made our own washing detergent for years and the new machines don't like them at all ( I was told using it would void any warranty), so now we also have to buy low suds detergent. The machine weighs the clothes to determine how much water to use. The cycles are much longer then our old one. My family says I'm just a cranky old lady. Perhaps they are right--I miss my old washer, I could tell by listening to where it was in the cycle. I sure hope my dryer hold our a few more years- I still use my clothes line for many things. There is nothing like sun dried linens.
These are suppose to be my "Golden Years", I'm afraid there is more "Rust" then "Gold". Happy Wash Day.
I am sorry to hear about the homemade laundry detergent issue. We are moving to a house where there is a front loader - Whirlpool Duet. I am leaving my old top loader here - it is over 20 years old and don't want to move it. My idea was to use the front loaders til I can get myself a set of old fashioned top loader with agitator and regular dryer after we are settled in.

I have been making my own laundry detergent for several years, powder, and it makes zero suds. I wonder if that would be a problem in the new house? I have done laundry there and it is fine enough for what I did, but it is very noisy. It is on tile on the main level, not a slab, so wonder if we put cushioning under it would it be quieter.

It doesn't have pedestals. I don't need them. I'm short and it isn't a problem for me. Plus I like to fold on top of the machines.