Old 09-10-2015, 03:43 PM
KarenLouiseM

Question Help starting to sew with Bernina 1230 and stitch in ditch walking foot

Hoping someone who has used a similar set up can help. I am VERY new to quilting (first quilt ). I have assembled the walking foot with the stitch in the ditch plate and can sew prettty well in a straight line. (Not quite as even sized stitches as I'd like; but, I think that's a problem with letting part of the quilt hang off the table without realizing it.)

My real problem is starting to stitch. I'd like to pull up the bottom thread so that I can secure both threads out of the way and then hide it in the quilt later. I can't figure out how to get the bottom thread to come up in the usual way with the presser foot down. I raise the wheel to the top position; but, can't access the thread to pull it up and get the loop from the bobbin to come up unless I lift the presser foot. IF I lift the presser foot it works - but it throws off my starting point - I can't see well enough around the giant foot to get the needle back into the same exact hole. I thought about just taking short stitches instead of hiding the thread - but again, I am having trouble seeing well enough to place the needle.

I hope this makes sense, I'm having trouble explaining! I've looked all over the internet and youtube - but all the demos just show someone starting to stitch, with no worries as to what happens to the threads or if the needle is exactly where they want it.

Any thoughts? Thank you!