Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Bree123

I assume it was sewed in an area in which the cat was allowed, so I probably wouldn't worry about allergies at this point. If you want to keep them from getting cat hair on them for aesthetic reasons, that's a different story.

Typically, rolling a quilt, wrapping it in fabric (muslin, typically) and placing in a cardboard tube (with or without plastic around it, depending on who you ask) seems to be the gold standard. Of course, almost none of us follow that standard unless we are entering a quilt in a major show or are storing a quilt worth thousands of dollars until it sells.

I do try to roll my quilts & if I plan to sell it, I'll make a cheapy muslin bag for it (one of the few times I actually buy fabric at JAF/HL). If I'm feeling ambitious, I add a drawstring tie at the top, but honestly, that's probably not as ideal since it makes a hole for dust to get in -- still, clients really like the tie. Of course, I'd never go to that much work if I was only selling the quilts for $50-75 a piece.

If you target the higher end market, I must say the muslin bags are a big hit. If you are more the mid to cost-conscious market, you might try rolling it & wrapping in a plastic tarp, then tie at both ends with curling ribbon or plastic garbage ties.

That said, there is no such thing as "permanent wrinkles". It is my firm believe & experience from working both with quilts and high-end retail, that every wrinkle can be steamed out with enough patience. Fortunately, cotton fabrics don't actually even take much patience to steam out wrinkles. If your current iron doesn't have a vertical steam function & can't steam horizontally without pressing, check-out your local grocery chain or rental center to see about renting a steamer machine the day of your show.