Old 09-12-2015, 08:40 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Oh another seamstress here..we have 4 grown children and times were tough especially in the 80's...think "farm crisis". I started with simple dresses and pants for DD...learned to sew t-shirts. My kids were skinny...the Grands are, too. Kwik Sew had a western jeans pattern in slim sizes. Perfect, the price of one pattern in 4 sizes and a yard of denim, used zippers from MrOK's worn out jeans, and splurged on riveted buttons. I knew I had achieved success when one of DD's middle school friends wanted to know where she bought her jeans, plus the jeans fit. I kept track of costs and could make those jeans for half the cost of new. With 3 boys following DD I made lots of jeans. Now denim fabric is not as inexpensive to buy especially when I searched the flat folds at JoAnn's in those days. Also made 75% of my own clothes..Now cheaper to buy as mentioned.

Just sewed a sundress for GD#4 from a cotton polka dot...she loved it...and guess I still know how to sew clothes...

As far as economical it cost Em $30 to make her maxi dress..she's taller than her mom so not child size any more...and the satisfaction she received from it...priceless...