Old 09-12-2015, 06:27 PM
OurWorkbench

Default Who'd ha' thunk -- not what I thought was wrong.

Looks like John was right about it being on the bottom. I still don't understand why the heat on the bottom didn't work only when heat was applied to the top could I get it to move. So I started concentrating more on the hook shaft and hook assembly. More Tri-flow along the various screws and more inspection along the hook shaft. I found a couple pieces of hair around the shaft by the counter-balance. Carefully removed hoping that was it.... still no go.

Pondered some more and researched some more. Found a video at http://april1930s.com/fwh-11-a-stuck-hook-assembly/ so I went down to the library (have dial-up at home) and watched it. While it wasn't exactly what my problem was, it gave me a little more confidence about getting it off and back on. If I was able to get it off, I could make sure there wasn't something still stuck there. I had tried some of the screws along the shaft and marked with a Sharpie on the parts around the shaft. I did notice when all the screws were lined up that the hook assembly had different markings on the hook assembly shaft. Yesterday none of the screws would move. This morning two of the screws moved. I didn't move them much and tightened them back up. Hunted down some different screwdrivers for the hook assembly and counter balance screw. When I started to unscrew the counter balance something kind of moved. I tried the hand wheel bushing (I had taken hand wheel off) and it moved easily. I moved the counter balance toward the hook assembly and the screw back into position and tightened it. I can still move it easily. I was able to get the hook assembly off but can't get the screw loosened for the loop guard. There is some fiber between the loop guard and the shaft of the assembly. I have tried Kroil, heat, & CRC freez-off and still doesn't move. I am using a screwdriver that fits nicely in the slot, but the handle isn't the best. I'll let it sit with Tri-flow over night and see if I can get the screw out tomorrow.

At least it is moving and I am anxious to get it back together. It sure feels good to be able to just easily spin it a bit.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.