View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 08:20 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
well figures it won't play on the computer here at work ..sigh..will have to watch it later. scary though with the stuff written- touching a fence and dying, dog dying from stepping on a plate while walking sheesh
I didn't watch the video, it may not be any different than the article.

That's a somewhat extreme example - the reason being that the power lines that are leaking there are carrying potentially enough power to supply hundreds of homes / businesses. Our houses are typically limited to a max of between 60 and 200 amps of power with most breakers limiting any given outlet/circuit to 15amps or so.

That said, it takes less than 1 amp to stop the human heart. I think I was told 0.10 amps - so 1/10th of an amp or 1/150th of what the average breaker can supply before it "pops". This is also about 1/4 to 1/7th what a regular properly operating vintage Singer machine will draw for power - which shows that it's drawing enough to actually cause harm if the wiring isn't in order.

I just had someone ask on my blog about popping breakers with a sewing machine that they just acquired. This indicates that an electrical problem of some sort is causing the machine to try to draw about 15 amps. Severely dangerous territory.