Old 09-14-2015, 07:18 AM
OurWorkbench

Default Yippee - happy dance -eureka - hallelujah

I FIXED IT!!!!!!

Even though it was a different problem than what I thought originally, this featherweight is sewing. Actually it was sewing yesterday, but it had the infamous click. I'm glad it does. I couldn't get the springs set to reduce it. It really was a good thing because while I had the needle plate off, I decided to check the needle and noticed a slight tick as it came up at the back of the hook assembly that I hadn't noticed when I got it back together. I did turn the hand wheel by hand to make sure everything cleared before I plugged it in and tried to sew with it. Yesterday's stitches didn't look too bad --

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530700[/ATTACH]

I must have not set the hook assembly correctly on the "flat" I knew it wasn't very far off, but was definitely not right. So this morning I double checked the video that I had taken with the needle plate off and heard the tick. I undid the hook assembly set screws, adjusted it a bit and tightened the screws. Put it back together and tried again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530701[/ATTACH]

(The stitch samples are on three layers of a very well worn sheet with a size 14 needle. I also tried the binder.)

Now need to find the TR-3 or get some new....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530702[/ATTACH]

Not bad for $50 plus tax Serial Number allocated January 29 1957. It included the case with instruction manual, Attachment box "160809 for class 221 machines" a key, empty size 16 Singer needle pack, two extra black spool felts plus the one on machine, 12-star ruffler (86742), 35931 adjustable hemmer w/ black side parts, 160359 multi-binder with guide, 120855 hemmer,121441 gatherer and 36865 edgestitcher.

I sure appreciate all the helpful and knowledgeable people on this board. Having read about some of the problems and solutions that are specific to featherweights I was able to get this machine back into operation. THANK YOU!

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails p1120636edit-stitches.jpg   p1120720edit-2ndstitches.jpg   p1120738edit-findtr3.jpg