Old 09-14-2015, 02:09 PM
ekuw

Originally Posted by SittingPretty View Post
I've heard of using tulle fabric in an embroidery hoop. You mark the design on the tulle with a marker. Then you trace the design through the tulle onto your fabric. You could use a permanent marker on the tulle (NOT ON YOUR QUILT!), if you want to save it, but I guess you could use a washout marker, if you want to use the tulle over again with a different design. As for marking your quilt, some people use the Crayola washable markers. I, too, have found that I have to press harder with the other pencils than the "light touch" in the directions. Otherwise, I like marking with chalk, but it does seem to brush off some.
I am working on a quilt now where I have used this method. In theory it sounds perfect, but I found that the stencil I traced was more difficult to see after each time I used it. Not sure if it is because my fabric is light, and I used white tulle or what, but I had to make 3 stencils (I did trace 50 wreaths!) to mark my quilt. I'll have to experiment more with different color of tulle maybe. When the stencil was fresh, it worked perfectly :-)