View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 AM
SuzieQuilts

Default Another Quilt Retreat

I was interested in the replies to the Post about starting a quilt retreat as a business. I am also interested in doing the same thing, but many states away. I am 1/5 owner in a large 100 year old house that our family has lived in for 50 years, as my father past away this summer. It was originally built as a boarding house. My parents did a lot of upkeep on it. I can make six bedrooms(two on the main floor), 3 bathrooms, build a ramp in the back to get up easy with machines, and even create a separate sewing area, by enclosing the back porch, and designing it the way a quilter would with plenty of outlets and a design wall. My question is "If I build it, will they come?" I would buy my sisters out and have to put some money into it. There is not a real draw to the town by anything else, as it is in a small town, but it is on the interstate, and in a quiet safe neighborhood. I would not quit my day job as I think I can do both for now. My husband is very handy. I would advertise it as a weekend retreat, with a class on one weekend, open sew retreat the next, and two weekends available to private group retreats. I would do most of the cooking, as I have catered large events in the past. No bunk beds, each person would get their own bed, I may have to put in a few twin beds, but most would be full beds. I am thinking I would have 10-12 beds, as they are quite large rooms. Would ladies be okay sleeping on a twin bed? I would appreciate your feedback, now and in the future if I do carry out this adventure.