View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 04:32 AM
lsimp123

Default Time Warner

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
Got my cable tv bill today and they're again raising the price another $15 a month. Which is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back! I've been thinking about doing this for awhile and it looks like now may be the time. I'm on a waiting list to move into an independent living building in about 1.5 years and they do not have the cable company I have now-WOW, it will probably be Time Warner. So there are several changes to be made and I wanted to get some input from all here about their experiences.

First two changes will be a new phone service and then the cable tv portion. My son will hook up my tv's with an antenna each and a converter box. We tried an antenna on one and got about 11 local channels so that won't be a problem, esp with Netflix etc. I have a VCR on the two TV's and can go back to using them. My TVs are old and don't have the features of the new ones.

I'm thinking about using the Magic Jack phone system and wonder if anyone here has it or has used it? Or other phone systems?

I'll have to keep the WOW internet connection for awhile as have to set up some kind of provision for my email. I use an email client called Eudora and want to keep using it. Tried setting up a gmail account and it was pure pain.....they don't like Eudora and want you to use one that they have or recommend. My son suggested finding another host server or even set up my own. Once I get moved Time Warner may have a program I can use and will prob just get internet service fromthem, but must set up something else now and start transferring my new email address to the MANY places it's on now, esp important places like bank and other accounts. I think that on some providers you can use the same email connection for a small amt a month but not on WOW.

The cable company has features priced so that even cutting back on 1 or 2 services, you end up paying almost as much as the current bundle is.

Really would like to hear about your experiences with these issues and what route you have taken. Thanks!!
Their internet runs around $54.00 a month with modem. Basic is about 34.00 not a fast speed or fastest they have. I have the middle one because I have Netflix witch I love its payed for itself.