View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 04:42 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Are there any quilt shops or quilt guilds within driving distance? This will give you a idea of the number of quilters in the area. There is a small lodge on a lake near me. There is a very active quilt guild (150+ members) and a quilt shop about 25 miles away. The lodge has quilting retreats, but only enough participants for 2 or 3 a year. They have 2 people per room, twin beds. I think the first thing I would check on is the general business requirements for that area. Is it still zoned properly from when it was a boarding house? Would you have to do anything to the kitchen if you were preparing meals on site (health department). What types of insurance would you need to carry, liability etc? Your husband may be handy, but the electric might need to be done by a licensed electrician, especially with all those outlets for machines and irons. Would you have to add emergency exits to the upper floors? Would you have to have an accessible bedroom & bathroom? If you are just advertising, you would need to do some math and figure out the minimum number of guests you would need to open it for a weekend.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 09-21-2015 at 04:46 AM.