Old 01-17-2010, 12:07 PM
quilterj

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
Newbie here...I wanted to show you the place where I am so happy to play, and why I prefer to be "At Home Sewing" :)

Hubby helped me make over our daughter's former room, into a sewing room. It wasn't my original plan, but somehow it happened that the furniture all came out of the Ikea "As Is" department. It me took several trips, over a couple months to find everything. I didn't sacrifice, everything I got was in perfect condition!

There are two design walls, one black and one white which I made out of builder's foam insulation board covered in felt. I love having two. I

The cutting table is counter height. It has a lot of storage space in the drawers. He put a top on it which extends off the back side by 8 inches. That makes a small counter providing room for knees underneath. The whole top is covered in a self-healing cutting mat from quiltersrule.com. Hubby trimmed the mat down just a tiny bit to fit and then trimmed out the whole top edge in birch.

The sewing machine sits on a table that was real find at $60. The entire table top raises to about chest height and lowers to table height via an hydraulic mechanism (apx. 28" - 40"). Years ago, Ikea sold these. This one was hiding in their corporate offices and was brought into the "As Is" department where I found it. I know I could never replace it. I've seen sewing tables that do the same thing sold for more $ than my mid-line Bernina! I may put a drop in this one for quilting.

Hubby also added two electrical circuits for the room and a lot of well placed halogen track lights. It's bright! :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me share! :)

More pics of the sewing room can be seen at: www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/

What are you using to hang your rulers on?