View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Cari-in-Oly
Banned

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
I am interested in trying my hand at embroidery but since I don't know if I will enjoy it or not, I do not want to spend over $500 on a machine. I would also like a sewing embroidery combo machine as I am currently using my mom's old Kenmore from the 70s and it needs some work done. I would like something with a little larger hoop area than 4 x 4. I have found the Brother HE-240 that fits this bill. I have also found the Singer Futura 9960 but can't determine if this is a sewing embroidery combination. Does anyone know if it is or not? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your input.
I believe the HE-240 only has a 4x4 embroidery field and the Singer is not an embroidery combo machine. I don't know that you can get a combo machine that does 5x7 embroidery for your price range. I'm not saying there isn't one, just that I don't know of one. Brother has a new combo Simplicity machine, the SB8000, that does 5x7 embroidery but I don't know how much it costs.
I felt the same as you when I first wanted to try machine embroidery so for my first machine I bought the Janome MC200E. It has a 5.5x5.5 hoop, which is substantially larger than a 4x4. I found I can often stitch designs that are for a 5x7 hoop, you just have to look at what the actual dimensions of the design are. I loved that machine so much I now have 3 embroidery machines and am looking at buying another. Alas, 4 machines are just too many and the MC200E will probably be the one to go when it comes time to sell one.

Cari