Thread: New iron
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 09:20 AM
onaemtnest

I surmise that no matter how much research you will do irons are manufactured with planned obsolescence in mind. I've read glowing reports on iron brands that have worked for years without problems, then alas, you read in the same thread that someone's experience with the same model iron doesn't last through the warranty.

I have a Rowenta that I've had for well over 10 years. I'm one of those crazy people that read instruction pamphlets and follow manufacturer instructions. Despite using proper H2o and heating directions, not storing my iron with H2o in it, my Rowenta started spitting/leaking probably five years ago, it is now a dry-only iron, still working flawlessly that way. I love it for it's weight and heat so was most disappointed when the steam issues started.

The Oliso's look like a wonderful iron but I sure wouldn't want to get used to the lift feature and then have to go back to the 'old' way of handling an iron and forget that it doesn't lift, not to mention it is too pricey for me.

As a side note, I notice that Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt, has used two or three different colored ones in her demo's over the past couple of years...makes me wonder are her irons holding up or is she just marketing the different colors of this iron she sells?

I like many others here who have stated their decision to buy the lessor priced irons, I too buy inexpensive irons with the features I think I need. That way when they die or don't perform I can toss them without feeling too bad.