View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Freddie

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
I am interested in trying my hand at embroidery but since I don't know if I will enjoy it or not, I do not want to spend over $500 on a machine. I would also like a sewing embroidery combo machine as I am currently using my mom's old Kenmore from the 70s and it needs some work done. I would like something with a little larger hoop area than 4 x 4. I have found the Brother HE-240 that fits this bill. I have also found the Singer Futura 9960 but can't determine if this is a sewing embroidery combination. Does anyone know if it is or not? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your input.
The Brother E240 only has a 4x4 field, according to the specs. It does have an USB port, so you can import other designs. The Singer Futura 9960 has built in stitches. If you want to embroider you have to chose from the stitches that are there or you have to do it "freestyle" (cannot use embroidery files though). I have 2 Brother PE770's with a 5x7 field. These machines are embroidery only, but reasonably priced at under $600 on the internet. If you buy from a dealer, it might be the PE780, but one is a little more expensive. The Brother's are easy to use and I also have a separate sewing machine from them. The Singer Futura XL400 is a combination machine with a 10x6 field. ($600.oo on the internet). Just remember, that you don't get support when you buy online. You do have the same warranty on the machine as by the dealer. Another thing to consider is, that when you buy a combination one at a lower price point, you have to do a lot of homework. I love that idea that I have different machines for sewing and embroidery. Sometimes I have a very large embroidery file, that might take me an hour or so and this way I can keep on sewing at the same time. Hope I gave you some more fuel for thought and good luck with any machine you buy.