Old 09-22-2015, 10:18 AM
JenelTX

Originally Posted by fireworkslover View Post
I can just imagine how beautiful this quilt is, since I saw Gudrun's version tonight at a neighboring Guild meeting. Gudrun used gray, dark gray and white. I like your colors better. Love the quilting you did as well. Congrats on a wonderful quilt.
Oh, I'm jealous! I would've loved to see that. I used the same color scheme that was featured in the magazine, the one that Angela Walters quilted. Usually, I would never do that because I like to change things up, but the red/gray/white is part of what reminded me of Mom, so I felt that was the best decision.

For those of you who are interested in FMQ, I thought you might like to know how I did the snowflakes that are drifting in the red part... I cut out three different sized hexagons from template plastic, and I traced those in random spots on the quilt. That was the only marking I did. When I got to a hexagon, I traced around it and free-motioned six spikes from the six sides of the shape, with teardrops on the spikes. Then I quilted around those with six points. As you can tell, they aren't perfect by any means, but a friend told me, "No two snowflakes in real life are alike, either." That made me smile!

I also did different free motion filler around each of the white fabric snowflakes. That was just for fun. You can't see it from a distance, but you notice it up close.

Thank you so much for your kind words, everyone!