Old 09-22-2015, 12:16 PM
QuiltingNinaSue

Rosy, your 'happy' fabric is being sent tomorrow and I will include a package of the noodles so you can get the 'code' off of the package and have a local grocery store get some in; if that does not work... and you like them, I will order them here by the case..

Being a history major and raised by a Grandmother and GF, I am amused at the language in this author's book that is of today's world not the 1910 - 1930 era. Women did not have many rights back then, until after WWII. Even in the early 1980's I reached for a credit application in Texas in a airline travel place of business and was told I could not have that...why??...I inquired....because your husband has to fill it out the lady replied. But he is in service and I am working and making the money, I replied. Does not matter, she says, he has to fill it out and it be in his name. It took Wade vs. Roe to change that in Texas. Nor did a lady sit in on a jury duty until after 1954. Up until after 1948, a lady could teach in country schools, for twenty to forty dollars a month, live (boarded) with a family in that district, went to church on Sunday morning, wore no make-up, no married ladies could teach because they 'might' get in the 'family' way. Men had the final say with the little wife and any daughters. men could literally lock the daughter who lived at home into her room, and give her bread and water, until she agreed with the Father.

Different regions of the USA had their own sayings and way of expressing themselves not found in other parts of the USA. One of our childhood neighbors would not ask to be taken to town, it was will you carry me to town? "She is feeding her face in the kitchen", children should be seen and not heard,. Aunt L put all three of her young boys in the play pen under a shade tree, and went to the field with Uncle B. because he could not hear. He read lips. They would be changed and bathed in the evening and feed a meal then, after L and B got back from the field.

So, ladies, the "Good old days", are the ones you are living now.,,, having credit cards, owning property, working full time outside the home, and enjoying the freedoms of today having a cell phone and computer and sewing Computerizled sewing machines.