Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 PM
givio

I devoured the letters in the book. Although it was a difficult time to live, the women seemed fulfilled and happy. I think 'today's woman' is missing out on a lot of wonderful things that the women expressed in those letters.

I'm satisfied with a man being in charge and 'wearing the pants.' The key, of course, for that to work is to have a good man be your partner. Credit cards have caused a lot of problems in my life, and I admire women who budget and use cash instead.

I was very happy working inside the home, being a housewife and mother. I was really blessed and fortunate to be able to do that when my boys were young. Now I have to work for a living, and even with a job I like, it's not such a fine life as the earlier one.

I loved cleaning my house and making it a welcoming place for family and friends. I liked preparing food, with each meal having something from all 'the food groups,' taking into account texture and color. I liked doing crafts with friends, with sisters, with my children. I liked the tradition of using my home for extended family gatherings at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter holidays.

I pity the women who put their children in daycare and go to work as a choice instead of necessity. I never wanted anyone else to raise my sons. I never wanted to miss welcoming them home from school. I never wanted to miss their day programs at school, their lazy or active summer days; or their first word, their first missing tooth, their first dance... any of it! I selfishly wanted to know all their growing up experiences firsthand, not through the pictures or messages of a caregiver. My first son had five surgeries before he was five-- what a mess I would have been if I was at work instead of home to change his dressing and empty his catheter! What in the work-world could ever compare to family life?! I understand some women love their careers. And I certainly loved mine.

The young women of today have cell phones as an extension of their arms. They are texting when I am sitting in the same room trying to have a conversation with them... And for those who like to use the Internet, the computer sucks time away from them worse than television did in the 60's and 70's. There is certainly a lot you can read and learn on the Internet... but outdoor exercise can give you a sense of well-being, playing a board game with friends can make you laugh, or attending a musical concert can give you enjoyment. People can lead you down new avenues of adventure. It may be fascinating to read about how the Eiffel Tour was constructed, but it's more incredible to travel there and see it yourself. And better when you see it with a person you love. :-)

Last edited by givio; 09-22-2015 at 01:16 PM.