Old 09-23-2015, 07:18 AM
huskyquilter

Interesting how this conversation has evolved. I'm a little younger than all of you, 33, so I was right on the cusp of the internet age. I had a very archaic cell phone at 16, but it was only used so I could call my parents when I got off work before I drove home. I worked at an IHOP about 3 miles from home, but during summers would work until midnight some nights. I actually refused to get a fancy cell phone until probably 5 years ago. I moved out to the east coast about 7 years ago and was even working for Apple. I was basically the only one without an iphone. I was known as the free-spirited, frustrating family member that no one could get ahold of instantly. I had a phone, but generally it was either turned off, under a pile of something in my car, or suffering from a dead battery. I am definitely the black sheep of the family, and just didn't (and still don't) like the idea of being electronically tied to obligation. I'm pretty naturally introverted and day-dreamy, and have an anxious personality, so being constantly connected to the world at large, or interrupted by a smart phone really bothers me. I'm an explorer and observer at heart, and love to wander and allow that to find adventures for me.

Right now, I have absolutely no desire to have kids, and I'm extremely fulfilled with life. I'm in a period of extreme transition career-wise and although I'm working a crazy amount of hours at two different jobs, one my dream job, it's leading up to spending my working hours doing what I love and connecting with people on a more meaningful level. I've been at my dream job for about 2 months now, and I feel like I've learned so much and have really, genuinely helped people. The sense of happiness I received from that took me completely by surprise and has really motivated me and narrowed my focus. Cheers for life and happy coincidence.