Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Jeanne S

Default My Modern Quilt Guild President's Challenge Done!!

I am a member of the Modern Quilt Guild here. This year we had a President's Challenge that was fun. We were all just told to bring one yard of a solid color fabric to the meeting--any color we wanted. No other information. At the meeting, we all stood in a circle, and were told to rip our one yard piece in half, keep one half (drop it to the floor in front of us) and pass the other half to our left. We then tore that passed half in half again, keeping one and passing the other. We did this 7 times until our last piece kept was only about 4"x6". So we each ended up with 7 pieces of varying sizes and colors. Our instructions were to make a 24"x24" mini quilt--we had to use some of all of the 7 pieces, but we could add fabrics as desired. Any quilting method was OK, including appliqué if desired, but each of us had to complete it 100% by ourselves. Machine or hand was OK. We were encouraged to try new things and designs, to 'think outside the box'.
Here is what I came up with. I added a few additional colors, and the one watercolor print fabric from my stash that I thought added interest in the center and on one side. It had several "firsts" for me: I had never completely improvised-pieced a project before from scratch, I had never sewn curved seams, and had never quilted anything so densely with 1/4" line quilting before.
I am pretty happy with the results. I may have to try more of these--might work as a table topper or a wall hanging.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]531513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]531514[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1040869.jpg   p1040868.jpg   p1040867.jpg  

Last edited by Jeanne S; 09-23-2015 at 08:03 AM.