Thread: Elmer's Glue
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 04:55 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Glue basting is the only thing I use. I don't spread it over the whole surface. I just squizzle a thin stream in a zig zag motion on the quilt bat and then lay the backing over it and smooth it down. Let it dry and then flip it over and do the same for the front. Never had any problems.
You don't need to think of glue basting as an alternative to spray but rather it is an alternative to pin basting or thread basting. You don't pin or sew everywhere and it works so you don't need to glue everywhere.
That's how I consider it too, not as an alternative to spray basting. I think one of our posters (maybe you, citruscountyquilter?) noted that distinction a while back.

the glue doesn't have to cover every inch as spray basting would. Just enough to hold the sandwich together.

Once dry it has never gummed up one of my needles and it seems very easy to machine sew through. And for me has always washed out.

I wonder what "scares" people when it is easy enough to glue a practice square together to test, and then wash out.