View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 05:52 AM
Sewnoma

I am not fond of the die cutters for most shapes. I have the Fiskars Fuse machine which can take Accuquilt dies and I can cut squares, rectangles and strips faster and with less waste by using my various rulers and rotary blade. Accuracy doesn't seem to be a problem for me anymore; I seem to have mastered folding the fabric to get nice straight strips, and I rather enjoy the cutting process overall so for those basic shapes I don't even think about using the dies. For strips I have the June Tailor strip ruler and I get fantastic results with that - fast & accurate.

When it comes to shapes like triangles & hexagons I'm about 50/50 - the die cutter is faster but you have to have a die for the size you need. I can cut ANY size with my rulers, but it's slower, especially if I take the time to knock points off of triangles, etc.

But for rag blocks and circles, the die cutter is 100% my go-to. I loathe cutting fabric circles and I will NEVER do another rag quilt without the die!! If that limits my size options, so be it. I will never do all that snipping by hand again, my hand felt like it was going to fall right off!