Old 09-29-2015, 07:53 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by Lew Schiller View Post
CosPlay as in the ComiCon crowd...
I had to look that up, since I wasn’t familiar with the term. I guess it hasn’t caught on too much in rural farm country, or else I’ve just not been paying attention well enough. I have seen youngsters interested in custom-made garments, especially semi-formal and formal wear for events, but they tend to have a previous generation in mind to do the actual sewing.

My wife and I were on the road for about 22 hours during Labor Day Weekend, and I did notice a slight uptick in the number of RVs on the highways. Not as noticeable as the startling absence of them back a few years ago when the gas prices shot up so high, but it seems like I saw more of them this time than in the past couple of years. The holiday weekend may not be a good indicator of RV sales and ownership though, since many of them could have just been summer-time or holiday rentals.

As for sewing to supplement an income, I have noticed a few more ads on Craig’s Lists around the area, wanting sewing work other than long arm quilting. Mostly craft, baby, and formal wear types of sewing, but a few including mending. I have no idea if they’re using new or vintage machines. I would suspect new machines. I also heard that the Dry Cleaners in a small city nearby no longer does mending and alterations. The lady that they had doing it retired, but I don’t know if they plan on replacing her or not. It may not be that easy to find someone.

CD in Oklahoma