Thread: Quilt Guards
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Greenheron

I do NOT touch quilts on exhibition for all the above reasons but I would like to. Quilting is not just a visual art form it is a visual and tactile experience, why else do we enjoy wrapping ourselves? In addition to esthetics, we prefer to work with natural fabrics because they are pleasing to the touch. Worn jeans might be a fashion statement but my old indigo dyed cotton jeans, stretched in all the bulgy places, just feel good. Some of us are primarily visual persons, others auditory, and some very touch-oriented, all three of course to some degree. That's why teachers don't depend on one mode of communication if they are to be effective because learning strengths vary.

Shows that are held in tight quarters are a danger to the exhibits and even more spacious displays need chickenwire to keep the pecking in check. I bet some fabric stashers are in love with color, prints and motion--just look at their rainbow displays of organizing and storage. I too love color and pattern but my fabrics are sorted by kind--upcycled shirting, jeans strips, crispy batik, flannel, etc. which I pet, stroke and handle.

Last edited by Greenheron; 09-30-2015 at 11:23 AM.