Old 10-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Sewnoma

Default Is it a bad idea to put silicone spray on a FW bed?

The bed of my FW is, for lack of a better word, a little "grippy". Fabric doesn't slide smoothly over it. I don't think it's dirty, it LOOKS clean and shiny and smooth and slippy, but it isn't. I have to hold the fabric up or it drags and makes my seams wobble.

I was thinking of maybe adapting a teflon sheet like I have around my main machine into some sort of sleeve I could slip on over the whole base and bed, but that seems like a bunch of work and probably wouldn't function nearly as well as I'm imagining. (Plus it'd be ugly and unwieldy...)

So then I started thinking about silicone spray; I've heard of people using that on sewing machine beds to make them slippy...but is that safe to do to a FW's finish? I'm hesitant to experiment with my little girl!

Or, anybody have any other suggestions for improving the slip? I've only used oil to clean the machine - if I rub the bed with an old white sock I don't seem to get any grime or even oil residue, so I'm not sure what the problem is or how to fix it. Maybe there's some kind of polish I could try?