View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 12:13 PM
mike'sgirl

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
No, I don't think so - I think it's a superstition, but a harmless one and a sort of fun one. I like to say that "my quilts are hugs trapped in fabric" but that's just an expression.l

But, even though I'm certain it makes no difference whatsoever, I still talk to inanimate objects and try to pour good feelings into anything I'm making (food, quilts, art...). It makes ME feel happy and lighthearted to do these silly things, so I don't really care if it's all in my imagination. I pat my machines on the "head" and tell them they're good and beautiful all the time...it doesn't bother them any either way so I figure no harm, no foul.

My father once told me I don't have a choice about growing old but I DO have a choice about growing UP. I think there is real value in retaining some types of childishness, and this is one of the "childish" things I've held onto. I hum along with the vacuum cleaner because it works better when it feels like it's part of a team, I tell the timer "I'M COMING!!!" when it goes off so it won't get impatient, and when my car is acting up I pat her on the dashboard and reassure her that she's a good car and we'll get through this together.
You sound like a fun person. 😁