Thread: Pet Insurance
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 08:53 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

We cremated the last one our Bianca and the same will happen with the other 2 when the time comes, hopefully not for awhile.
Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
My thoughts:

Insurance companies are designed to turn a profit for their shareholders. To that end they budget on only paying out about 60% of the premiums they collect in any given fiscal year. The 40% covers their administrative expenses and shareholder profit.

The policy my Vet suggested for my son's kitten does not cover shots and check ups. If you do not get shots and check ups according to the insurance company's schedule, they will not cover emergency treatment.

I was reviewing the last 10 years of vet bills for my various cats and dogs. Check ups, shots and flea treatments average $300.00 per pet per year. I currently have three cats and one dog, so I budget for $1200 per year in regular care.

Emergency care has been needed for one dog and two cats over the years. On average it cost $1400.00 each. My dog is going in for dental surgery on Tuesday, the quote I was given is for between $700.00 and $1000.00, plus he needs his shots. This is not the same dog that had emergency surgery. I have a contingency fund set aside to help out if there is another emergency.

Touch wood, we have not had two pets need emergency care the same year.

All but one has been buried in the yard, when they died. It makes me sad that I will leave them when I move next year. Each one has a special plant. Cassie, my old dog died in late December when the ground was frozen, she also was over 60 pounds and I would have needed a really big hole. She, I had cremated. She I in a pottery urn on my hearth.