View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 AM
Sewnoma

I like old fashioned incandescent bulbs for general lighting in my sewing room - I use the GE "Reveal" brand bulbs, which are nearly natural spectrum.

For task lighting at my machine I have a pair of IKEA "Jansjo" LED gooseneck lamps that point right at my sewing machine bed.

At my cutting table, I use a neat old extra-large brass gooseneck lamp with another Reveal bulb in it for most of my cutting needs. I also have an Ott light at the end of my cutting table - I don't have it on most of the time because it has a high-pitched whine to it (that nobody but me can hear), but if it's late and I need to see "true" colors I'll switch it on briefly.

During the day I'm lucky to have a sewing room with a lot of natural light so it's only in the evenings that I need anything but task lighting. I have "low e-glass" windows that are supposed to cut down on UV and have added an additional UV/privacy film to the windows so I can leave all my blinds open and have privacy and bright light that isn't too direct and is hopefully as harmless to my fabrics as possible. (I still store my fabrics in cabinets with doors, but I keep things on my design wall for months at a time.)