View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 02:53 AM
Macybaby

Since I've had a few people ask about the pattern, I'm adding it here.

I made my own pattern for this. I found some pictures I liked the overall look, but did not find a pattern to my liking. Many were harder than I wanted to deal with, or pieced in a way that would have made it difficult to fussy cut like I wanted to do.

Butterfly wings are mirror images, and I wanted to keep that as much as possible. I selected fabrics that were either small enough that it would not matter, or had a suitable print to fussy cut.

I was going for an 8" square, so I took a piece of paper and lined out what I wanted. I stuck with 90deg angles as much as possible to make cutting easier. I extended each piece on the outer edges so I could trim and square up after each rectangle was sewn, and then sewed each pair together.

And then I made Left/Right sets. Out of each fabric, I cut a set of top and bottom wings, and then I mixed and matched them together, though some worked out better to keep together.

Here are some closeups to help show the method.

The body is fused and satin stitched on top. I made a template and drew on the antenna, and satin stitched them at the same time. I did cut strips of tear away stabilizer and used them under each to keep the stitching from puckering the fabric - especially needed for the antenna.