View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 07:20 AM
citruscountyquilter

I have used a rolled hemming foot with success. The trick is getting it started. You start out by folding a narrow hem (1/8") over twice. You only need to do this for half inch or so. It helps to touch a hot iron to it to hold it in place. Then take it to your machine and put the needle down through the hem. Next take the fabric and pull it up through the rolled part of the foot and start stitching. The rolled part of the foot will roll the fabric into a narrow hem and the needle which follows closely behind will stitch it in place. You don't have to worry too much about where the needle will fall on the fabric because the foot will guide it. To do corners I stitch to the end and then start the new side fresh like I started out but try to miter the corner on the new side a bit to make it neater. I tried going around a gentle curve and it did not work well. I was able to do it but got some rippling. Straight edges work better. My manual for my machine (Janome 8900) had some instructions and pictures. If your's doesn't perhaps there is a tutorial you could watch on line. I love having that foot for finishing things off like napkins and such. It is a very narrow hem so wouldn't use it much for garment construction.

The real trick that worked for me is holding the fabric up away from the bed of the machine to allow the roll in the foot to be able to take it up.