Old 10-14-2015, 05:57 AM
Daffy Daphne

Default Using Creative Grid templates to make a Double Wedding Ring quilt

I bought the Downton Abbey DWR kit from Craftsy, but wanted to use my Creative Grid (CG) templates to cut out the pieces. The CG template set does not include templates to cut the individual segments that make up a pieced arc. This is how I adapted the Craftsy pattern to use the CG templates.

First I drew off the CG arc shape, and resized the Craftsy pattern segments to fit within it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533357[/ATTACH]

Using the adjusted paper segment patterns, I made templates from plastic, adding a 1/4" seam allowance to each side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533358[/ATTACH]

From bits of the selvedge edges, I made a swatch chart to go by in cutting pieces.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533359[/ATTACH]

After cutting the first segment from a 2-1/2" strip then turning the template upside down, each additional segment required only one cut.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533360[/ATTACH]

For me, laying out the segments in order to sew was easier than separating individual pieces from stacks as I sewed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533361[/ATTACH]

A bunch of stitched segments, ready to press:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533362[/ATTACH]

I used the CG arc to trim my segment assemblies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533365[/ATTACH]

And ended up with perfect arcs, without having to sew them perfectly. I think with dozens of arcs to sew, this was a huge advantage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533363[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533364[/ATTACH]

Daffy
Attached Thumbnails dadwr-resizing-templates-fit-creative-grid-arc.jpg   dadwr-templates-segments.jpg   dadwr-swatches.jpg   dadwr-cutting-segments-1.jpg   dadwr-segments-laid-out.jpg  

dadwr-segments-press.jpg   dadwr-trimmed-arc.jpg   dadwr7.jpg   dadwr-trimming-arc.jpg