Thread: books on tape
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 AM
lovelyl

Your local library should have some options for you. They should have audiobooks already loaded on a small device called a PlayAway. You check out the whole device like you would a regular print book. They only have a few buttons like play, stop, rewind and an automatic bookmarking feature. Battery operated and the library supplies the batteries. Each device contains one book. There are also books on cd, but you supply the device to play them on.
In Ohio, the state library has a feature call Ohio Digital Library which offers free audiobook downloads which stay on your device for 3 weeks. I use this all the time and downloaded the audiobooks to a Creative Zen MP3 player for years, but now download them straight to my smartphone or computer through an app called Overdrive Media. Your library should have a link to this free app as well as a list of compatible MP3 players and someone to help you learn the process. I would bet your state library has a similar program, accessed through your local library.
There is also a national program called "Talking Books" which offers free audiobooks and players to people with learning difficulties or physical limitations that make it hard for them to read print books. http://www.loc.gov/nls/faq.html#q2 The older devices were set up with just a few large buttons, color coded and with Braille writing on them. Very easy to use and the device was given to you free for as long as you needed it. In the past (8 yrs ago) they would send a booklet of available books and you would call or send in a postcard with the books you wanted. The books were then mailed to you in a hard plastic mailing case with a postage paid return sticker. When you were done, you just mailed it back and requested another book. We had a child with dyslexia who used this service and loved it.
Again, all these services can be accessed through your public library free of charge. Good luck, hope you find something that your relative can use.
Linda (retired librarian)