View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 03:27 PM
somoquilter

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
My DH & DD always go to the Mountain West Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas. We have a time-share in LV so I go and sew, tour the LQS and sew some more. This past March we ended up with an extra 2 bedroom unit (won't bore you with details) so I called my friend in Phoenix to join me. A two bedroom is actually 2 one bedroom condos connected by a common entry area, so she had one to herself and the other we used for sewing and left our machines & ironing boards up the entire time. For 4 days and 3 nights we quilted from 8 am to midnight. Stopping only for food and shopping. She had never visited the LQS of Vegas so we had a grand time. (She also showed me that Sam's Club sells Nathan Hotdogs for $1.50. Yum!)

I worked on my Christmas tree twister quilt and she worked on one until she decided to do some machine embroidery and then we used my GO to cut out a DWR quilt she plans to make for her daughter. It was probably one of the funnest times I have ever had.

So what I am suggesting is, if you have some quilting friends, create your own retreat. There are places like the Residence Inn and Extended Stay America that you can get suites. And just decide what you want to do and do it. I didn't bring too much to work on, because I was determined to get the twister quilt done. Carol had just bought her Brother 770 and wanted to do play with it and make cute outfits for her DGS.
This sounds wonderful!
The problem is that the local guild has already had their retreat for the year. My quilting buddies either can't afford one or are having health issues right now.
Anyone want to meet up with me?? I can't do Minnesota nor Maine. Maybe Missouri.
I saw the doings in Panama City. I have been to that quilt shop. It's great. I don't want to do classes. I just want to sew, eat, laugh & meet some new friends.