View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 10:23 AM
slbram17

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Slbram17, I'd never eaten any sort of squash till I came to live in Iowa. Same goes for sweet potatoes. My sister got me started on them and now they're a staple in this house. As to peeling squash, my 1st go at it was with an electric knife as it was so hard to peel. Then someone told me to stab the heck out of the whole squash, place it on a cookie and into the oven for 30 minutes on each side. Worked like a charm. So easy to peel after that. Last year I had a bumper crop of butternut squash so every day I would throw 6 onto a cookie sheet and bake for the time needed each day till I got them all done. Still have 7 bags cubed in the freezer from last year but only have 8 squash this year after sharing with my neighbors. Nice thing about squash, you don't have to deal with them right away. I usually set them on my basement sink counter till around January or February and then deal with them. Same goes for the onions. They get pulled dried, then braided and hung up out in the rear garage till around January or the 1st real cold freeze, then I peel, dice and freeze to put into my soups and whatever.
I like the idea of prep ahead and freeze. Thank you for sharing your techniques.
Serita