View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 05:44 PM
quiltingshorttimer

while not particular hard, I think they are labor intensive--I usually will cut the desired logo out, then stabilize it with a featherweight Pellon or other fused stabilizer. Once I've got the t's cut and stabilized I measure all and then start sketching a design--that can get tricky with them being all different sizes. It's probably just me, but I seem to end up doing at least 2 cuts,sometimes 3. That's where your sashing comes in--I always sash as the ones I've made without sashing just stretch too many different ways! I do always seem to get a few with wider sashing, but once I get it figured out I assemble as vertical strips and then sew them together and add borders. I long arm quilt the quilt--I definitely suggest you do NOT use a high loft poly bat! Even with stabilizer I sometimes get t-shirt pulling away from the stabilizer when I'm quilting. Shirts I have found to reject--those that are worn/torn (don't hold up to the quilting process) and I make sure that if I use the mesh sports jerseys that the customer knows that the stabilizer will peak through the mesh. also, those t's that have the big, plastic logos can not be quilted without creating "pull" on your machine--so I let the customer know that if it's a large logo it won't be quilted, but I will quilt around it. I agree with several of you--just not that fun to make or quilt, so I charge 9 cents a square inch--includes all labor, the stabilizer, bat, back and quilting. Often people don't want to pay that, which frankly is just fine with me!
That being said, I've made several customer ones, plus all my nieces and nephews get one for high school grad.

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 10-17-2015 at 05:49 PM.