Thread: binding
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I sometimes get "bad"miter at a corner--any tips there??
I always did the "take it out of the machine, fold it up and fold it back down" way, but found a way to do that easier and without taking it out of the machine.

When you get near a corner, stop sewing as far back as your seam allowance. If the seam allowance is 3/8 inch, stop 3/8 on an inch from the corner of the quilt top. Sew into the corner on a 45º angle. Leave your needle in the fabric at the end of that sew, just so the needle is in something. (If you've left a little bit of back and batting all around your quilt, you will have something to leave the needle in.) Turn quilt to sew down the next side. Lay the binding down the next raw edge. There will be a large "bump" forming in the binding as you turn that corner. Pinch it. Lay that pinched piece down so that the fold is at the top and the two folded binding edges are exactly together. Scrinch the fold up a little so that it for sure is up to the raw edge of the binding. Now lift the needle and move over to the seam line. Start sewing down that side. No need to cut the thread.

I've been doing this for a few years now, and like it so much better than taking it out of the machine, cutting threads and starting over with loose threads.