Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by VernaL View Post
I had a hard case for mine, but my cat kept clawing it. So, I bought another one and kept the cat away, but somehow he found it again. Finally my husband got me one just like this from an ad in a quilt magazine, but mine is black and says Featherweight on the side in white. My machine loves it and so do I, and the cat doesn't. I have been using it for years and it is great and still looks brand new. I like the soft corners. Mine holds the foot/cord, a surge protector and a long extension cord and the machine. There would be enough room for attachments also. I use it when I take classes and on vacation. I don't think I would trust one of the homemade tote bags.
I've been really lucky. Our first cat (Gizmo, my little grey lady) used to scratch wood. She loved it. I have a couple of TV tables that have noticeably contoured legs now but she was gone before I sewed. Shadow likes her scratching post and only her scratching post and Stormi scratches carpet but never seems to do it any damage. It's like she combs it or something. Both of them love the sewing machines and never harm them. I do have to watch Shadow though, she sometimes licks the machines and seems to have a taste for TriFlow... *sigh*

Why wouldn't you trust a home made tote? With appropriate seams and straps that go around the bottom, I'd be comfortable with that. I've seen the quality of several commercially made bags and don't trust a lot of them as a result.

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
The pattern is "Featherweight case covers for the 221 by Jean Meier, but here is a link to someone who took that pattern and modified it (http://maggiemayquilts.blogspot.com/...herweight.html). The gal has a photo of the pattern. I like her modifications.
Thanks! I hadn't come across that one yet.

I'm really loving this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/2163829...r-your-vintage

Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
  • At the CraftyHipster web site under the name “Sew a Singer Featherweight Tote” is a pattern for a Featherweight cover and tote combination. If I made this I would put the straps all the way under the tote and use a padded material or a quilt. I do not think there is a charge for this pattern.
KenZ, I came across this one too. It's a pretty basic design and easily modified. It will likely be what I start from. I always forget how to do the box bottom for instance. Definitely straps underneath. I'm actually pondering an idea where they are inside the layers so they're not conspicuous but so that they're still there doing their job. Because I have a Long Arm and an industrial tailoring machine at my disposal, I should be able to get away with that as far as piercing power. I'm also thinking of one of the heavier threads for all of the stitches that will be the most load bearing - like the bottom seams.