Old 10-21-2015, 03:41 AM
OurWorkbench

Tammi, hope your shoulder/neck is better today.

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I'm really loving this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/2163829...r-your-vintage

KenZ, I came across this one too. It's a pretty basic design and easily modified. It will likely be what I start from. I always forget how to do the box bottom for instance. Definitely straps underneath. I'm actually pondering an idea where they are inside the layers so they're not conspicuous but so that they're still there doing their job. Because I have a Long Arm and an industrial tailoring machine at my disposal, I should be able to get away with that as far as piercing power. I'm also thinking of one of the heavier threads for all of the stitches that will be the most load bearing - like the bottom seams.
The one on Etsy is neat - with the lid separate wouldn't that make it harder to "conceal" the straps? I've also thought in addition to straps all the way around that I'm thinking that it would probably be better to have a solid bottom - rather than a seam in the middle of the bottom. I suppose if using directional fabric that it could be problematic.

I'm curious of the spacing of the straps on the tote. I think I've seen some closer toward the middle and some closer to the side. I can see that the wider spacing of the strap location would give a better surface for embroidery or pocket and might be better for over the shoulder straps. The luggage that I have seen (like for laptop bags) have clips on the ends of the bag for the shoulder strap. Seems like I have also seen straps are spaced a little narrower (about the width of the handle on the top of the case). Have any of you that have used the bags/totes have any comments about if you wish the straps were spaced a little wider or narrower for comfort and possibly the feeling of it maybe being a little wobbly?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.