View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 04:23 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
If putting in a breezeway and redoing the stairs to your current studio isn't in the plans, then I would go with the addition. Wish fire code would be OK with a dumb waiter sort of set up for you. Maybe one of those stair chairs advertised for the older or disabled person would work.

You may be able to use the existing ac and heat source from your home. Or not.

Since I live down here in the desert I would go with a mother-in-law type casit a with solar tubes for additional lighting as it would positively affect the pricing with resale of the property. A shed, wouldn't help much at all.
When I built my new garage in 2001 (right after 911) I made it handicap accessible. There was an 8 inch drop from the level of the house to the level of the garage. The garage was 10 feet away from the house, so I built a beautiful breezeway with a 10 foot ramp to access the garage with a wheelchair. It has been never been used for a wheelchair . . . yet! and I don't see a wheelchair in my future, but it pays to be prepared. It's so nice to be able to walk to the garage, in bare feet sometimes, to retrieve something or put something into the car so I won't forget it.

If I had a sewing room in another building, I would never go there. I need to be near what's going on in the house. I do use a timer to remind me that I need to stop sewing now and get ready (for something ? ? ?) to "stir a pot" and just be nearer my hubby, even if we don't really talk for a few hours at a time.