Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Interesting - one of my very favorite outfits - ever - was made of royal purple double knit polyester.

I also like the cotton-polyester sheets (at least 50% cotton blend).

I have made quilts using dual-duty cotton covered polyester that are doing just fine - these are washed frequently and are all over ten years old.

One of the very favorite quilts has brushed Arnel (feels like velvet or velveteen - was used for housecoats and robes)
for the border and backing, t-shirt knit for the binding, cotton prints for the center and Warm and Natural "cotton" batting. It was sewn with Coats & Clark Dual Duty Thread. The brushed Arnel will tolerate STEAM heat up to the line between polyester and cotton. It will melt if it gets overly hot dry iron heat.

The fabrics were probably cut with an Olfa 45 mm or 60 mm rotary cutter with an Olfa blade, after having been washed in my Maytag washing machine with some low fragrance detergent, and then dried in my Maytag dryer. I then sewed them on my Pfaff 1471 with a Schmetz needle - probably an 80 - and I probably used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread - the cotton covered polyester version. I probably snipped threads with a Gingher scissor. I trimmed the blocks using a template I made from template plastic (9.75 inch squares). I cut the pieces on a 32x60 inch mat by Sew/Fit Company. I used rulers OmniGrid rulers back then, and used a 48 inch aluminum ruler by Fairgate and the 16.5 inch square by Quilter's Rule when doing the final trimming before applying the border.

I am a bit of a purist - I prefer to have all the components of an item have the same care (cleaning) tolerance because - so far - everything I've made has been intended for a lot of use and I expect the items to get dirty.

I also like prefer to have a top made of approximately all the same weight fabrics - denim and corduroy together, as compared to slinky rayon and canvas tarp.

Last edited by bearisgray; 10-22-2015 at 07:59 AM.