View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 04:20 AM
pumpkinpatchquilter

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
Y seams not withstanding . . .i used to struggle getting 1/4" seams . . .tried various feet, etc. then, an experienced piecer pointed out, it could be my thread and machine needle. Sure enough, my needle was too large . . .it displaced the threads in the cotton weave . . .and my thread, too thick, was keeping the cotton weave displaced by filling the gap the needle made.

I switched to Schmetz Microtex 70 needles and 50wt Aurifil thread and my seams have been spot on since.
I also use microtex needles or sharps for quilting - I learned this by accident years ago when expressing to a quilt shop owner my trouble with matching points even when I nested thing together PERFECTLY! It made a huge difference...as did switching my piecing thread. I make a lot of "show" type quilts that will never be used and I generally use a thin poly for piecing now adays rather than the thicker cotton I used way back when I started. I have yet to try it, though some day soon I plan on ordering a few cones, but I hear wonderful things about Aurifil's 50 wt. cotton. Thanks for your tips!!

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I really like Kaye Wood's tips and techniques. Here she demonstrates her method of doing a Y seam. I used this making a quilt that had tons of Y seams in it and it worked like a charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkHfcuNzCA

She has lots of other tips on being accurate as well.

To get my points to be pointy in a pattern (like in triangles, stars etc) I put a pin through the point and then through the fabric I'm sewing it to. Most of the time it is 1/4" but not always as often there is just enough give in fabric to be a little off at that intersection. I make a mark on my fabric that I'm sewing the point to with a Frixon pen where the pin comes through and that is my seam guide when I go to sew my pieces together. Perfect points every time. Even if the seam on the backside isn't perfect who will notice.
LOVE Kay Wood - truly! I will check out her section on Y seams. I actually don't mind them so much either until the pieces get very tiny and the fabric becomes very high contrast! Seems there is always room for improvement and folks are always coming up with better faster way to do things so I'm always listening, watching, and learning!

Thanks so much for all of the great advice! You folks are the BEST!