Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Peckish

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Cotton vs, polyester. Personally I like the sheen of polyester but the true quilters are probably screaming right now. Why do "real quilters" frown on polyester?
First of all, I don't agree with the premise of your statement. I am a "true quilter" and a "real quilter" (whatever that's supposed to mean) and I use polyester thread. I don't use poly fabric because I personally don't care for it. I find it itchy, hot, sweaty, and in case of fire, it's not the first thing I'd like to have next to my loved ones' skin. That's my opinion and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Second of all, there are many, many older quilts where it's been documented that the very first thing to start deteriorating was the cotton thread used to piece and quilt them. The older cotton threads were susceptible to dry rot.

However, technology marches forward, and both cotton and poly have improved over the years. I don't get bothered about whether my quilts will last for a hundred years or not. If they last, they last. If they don't, then more opportunity for me to make new ones to replace the old.